The Northern Star Hamilton Hotel was not built until relatively late in the history of Hamilton (1877), however it is one of the oldest surviving hotels in the area. In the 1850’s Hamilton was known as “Borehole” after the “Borehole Pit” which was the local mine, all the residents of the area would have been employed in some manner by this mine, and a young man by the name of Thomas Tudor opened the first ever Inn in 1854, which was called “The Lame Dog”.
Thomas Tudor had a reputation as a runner and athlete. Foot racing was the principle sport of the time and professional running was booming all over the Colony of New South Wales. T. Tudor is recorded as winning one of the first ever race’s over a distance of 400 yards, and has had Tudor Street named after him, although whether this had anything to do with his running is pure speculation.